The Need for Detailed Understanding of Network Traffic
SD-WAN (Software Defined Wide Area Network) solutions need a detailed understanding of network traffic in order to be effective in leveraging multiple network paths for different applications. Only advanced, next-generation Deep Packet Inspection (NG DPI) can provide a high enough level of application visibility and traffic classification to meet all the needs of QoS management, security functions such as firewalling, and traffic routing optimization.
Qosmos NG DPI Engine for SD-WAN
Qosmos ixEngine® is an embedded next-generation DPI engine that recognizes over 4300 protocols. It performs IP classification and extracts metadata up to Layer 7, based on real-time application and user information. Developed specifically for integration into third-party applications, such as SD-WAN, it provides granular information to be used as input for higher-level functions such as firewalling, QoS based-routing and WAN optimization.
Qosmos ixEngine Provides Application Awareness to Improve SD-WAN Routing and Security Functions
First Packet Advantage for SD-WAN
Qosmos ixEngine offers a unique first packet processing capability for outstanding SD-WAN performance. This capability, First Packet Advantage, features an innovative, multi-tier cache system that includes hundreds of millions of continuously updated, DPI-validated IP addresses and application matches. As a result, it brings unrivaled accuracy and granularity to the task if identifying traffic from the first packet in a flow.
This enables SD-WAN products to instantaneously and precisely execute application-specific rules, such as those related to unique bandwidth, latency, or security requirements. What’s more, the data generated includes security-related information that enables SD-WAN vendors to enhance their offer with new security rules, to develop firewalls and other key security components as part of a Secure SD-WAN solution, or to evolve their offer into a complete, cloud-based SASE solution.
Moreover, First Packet Advantage offers SD-WAN vendors a further competitive edge through its ability to accurately identify protocols, applications and services in encrypted streams. This will provide vendors with an important traffic visibility safeguard as encryption usage and standards evolve.
“Application awareness is essential for SD-WAN and SASE solutions, but many conventional traffic classification engines score poorly in accuracy, granularity, and performance. A solution like Enea’s First Packet Advantage that operates with high accuracy in first packet mode, brings improved protection and performance to vendors and end-customers.”Roy Chua, Founder and Principal, AvidThink
Qosmos ixEngine for SD-WAN
- Classifies and keeps track of all network flows by application and user
- Provides accurate, granular first packet processing for maximum performance
- Provides volume, delay and jitter per application, user and network link
- Delivers actionable security information in real-time (e.g. automatically identifies fake or corrupted files)
- Provides computed statistics in real-time (e.g. MOS for VoIP)
- The highly granular and timely information provided by Qosmos ixEngine enables SD-WAN solution developers to create more responsive and precise algorithms. In addition, by integrating Qosmos ixEngine into SD-WAN products instead of using in-house DPI technology, solution providers can reduce their development and maintenance costs and accelerate time-to-market.